Why do Engineers Choose Silicone for Applications?
In today's elastomer market, the choice of rubbers available to engineers and designers is vast. The sheer number of choices can often cause confusion as to which rubber to select for certain applications. Properties such as temperature resistance, compression set, tear strength and elongation may not be fully understood, which therefore effects making the correct choice of rubber.
Here we discuss why engineers choose silicone rubber as a material over other rubbers and the benefits the elastomer has when in applications.
Firstly we must outline that all rubbers have both positives and negatives depending on application conditions and as of yet, there is not one rubber that 'ticks all the boxes'. So this leaves us with the realistic conclusion that we must delve into the application where the rubber will be used to understand what stresses the material will face and then give a decision.
As we're a silicone rubber manufacturer we hold a vast amount of knowledge in the heat cured silicone arena so let's discuss the most common features and benefits of silicone to allow you to understand why engineers choose the material.
Silicone is most commonly associated with its excellent resistance to extreme temperatures and this is generally one of the primary reasons silicone gets selected for application. We discussed temperature resistance in another blog post as it is often a topic that causes some debate as to the maximum/minimum temperatures that silicone can withstand.
Silicone rubber has excellent resistance to environmental conditions, making it the ideal material to be used for outdoor sealing applications that may be exposed to the elements. Silicone can withstand Ozone and UV stresses which allows the material to maintain its original properties and prevent degradation. Silicone also has excellent resistance against general weathering from rain, sleet, snow and frost allowing protection to electrical enclosures situated outdoors.
Low Compression Set
Silicone is an inert polymer, meaning that it is mainly non-reactive. This makes it the go to elastomer in the food and beverage industry as it little to no effect on the products themselves. From dairy tubing to brewery hoses, Silicone Engineering's silicone is widely used on a global scale. It is approved to FDA, BfR and WRAS standards which allow it to be in contact with food or beverages without causing contamination.
These are just some of the benefits silicone rubber can bring to applications when other elastomers fail. Silicone can resolve and/or prevent a number of sealing issues, which can increase the lifespan of a seal and also reduce replacement costs.
- Jiajie silicone tubing
- The menstrual cup is a great gospel for women
- Do you know JE?
- South Africans pray for Mandela
- President Xi Jinping visit Tanzanian
- Shenzhen JIAJIE Company Culture
- Company Profile
- Shenzhen jiajie enterprise culture-Thanksgiving wall!
- The company launched a drill about fire control!
- Shenzhen jiajie enterprise culture-Birthday Celebration
- Detail performance explanations for silicone products of shenzhen jiajie Co.,Ltd.
- Annual general meeting was held yesterday
- Silicone rubber cases for iphone4 are selling on discount.
- Jiajie silicone sports bracelet wholesale online!
- Processing of various kinds of silicone tubes
- Diversity of rubber hoses sell like hot cakes
- Jiajie supplys fashionable silicon bracelets
- Happy New Year`s Day
- Silicone watch limited sales
- silicone gifts new listing